Re: kernel-package or kernel bug???

>>"Brian" == Brian May <bam@debian.org> writes:

>>>>> "Manoj" == Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> writes:
 Manoj> Therein lies your problem. Your kernel needs a newer
 Manoj> modutils than you have installed. Look into the kernel
 Manoj> source Documentation dir for the versions oif software you
 Manoj> need to have installed.

 Brian> Not sure I understand:

 Brian> 1. is potato not compatible with 2.2.17? or perhaps this is just the
 Brian> initial release of potato, and not the updates.

	I have no recollection about when the kernel started
 installing this symlink; so you could be right here.

 Brian> 2. how can a new modutils prevent this symlink from being created?

	It won't. And this symlink is not a bug.

 Brian> Or are you saying that depmod should just ignore this symlink?

	Correct

 Brian> If this is the case, it seems pretty silly, as the deb file typically
 Brian> is for installation on other computers, where the symlink just will
 Brian> become an invalid symlink.

	It is installed by the kernel Makefile. And not all packages
 are meant to be installed on other computers -- I routinely compile
 and install my own kernel image modules, and I have a suspicion that
 I am not alone.

	manoj
--
 If it were thought that anything I wrote was influenced by Robert
 Frost, I would take that particular work of mine, shred it, and flush