Re: shared NFS systems

On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 04:21:18PM +1100, Brian May wrote:

> [union mounts]
>
> However, your proposed method seems to be "let the maintainer scripts
> think that they are writing to /usr" when in actual fact the output
> will be discarded. IMHO, this is more a hacked type solution to work
> around current limitations rather then a proper solution.

True enough; as far as dpkg is concerned, it's a workaround rather than a
solution.  I think the idea has a lot to contribute to the idea of sharing
filesystem namespaces, though, so it makes sense to consider it when thinking
about the situation.  For example, a file server could contain a default /etc
filesystem that could be selectively overridden on a file-by-file basis on
clients.  This would really clean things up in a lot of diskless
configurations.

I have seen some amount of discussion on this feature on various Linux
kernel-related mailing lists, and it already exists in other kernels, so
there's a reasonable chance of it being implemented in Linux at some point.

--
 - mdz