Re: X 4.0.1 what's the deal?

Branden Robinson wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 06, 2000 at 01:05:06AM -0800, Erik Steffl wrote:
> >   I was able to get X 4.0.1 working after all. the strange thing is that
> > everything was properly updated (using aptitude) from 3.3.6 to 4.0.1
> > except of server, I had to install the apt-get install xserver-xfree86.
> >
> >   is it intentional?
>
> Yes.  xserver-xfree86 is a new package because it contains completely new
> things, like "/usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86"; try to find that file in X 3.3.6.

  I know it's new but the way it works now does not make much sense -
most of the system is updated to 4.0.1, except of X server, and in
addition to that the X server no longer works (at least in my case),
which leaves the X unusable.

  there were some new packages installed by automatic update/upgrade -
why not X server? Specificaly since now there is only one X server so
that there are no doubt which one to get.

  yes, I know, the X 4.0.1 does not support all the cards that 3.3.6
does, but given the fact that even 3.3.6 does not work after upgrade
that's a moot point...

  all in all I am not complaining though, the new server is a lot faster
(at least I think so), I've got truetype fonts working, acceleration, no
modelines... hope I'll get DRI working as well... (from other posts it
looks like I only need to change to 16bpp)

	erik