Re: X 4.0.1 what's the deal?

Erik Steffl <steffl@bigfoot.com> writes:
ES> what is the state of X 4.0.1? when I ran aptitude today (fri
ES> night) it wanted to upgrade the packages in kinda strange way.

It looks like it's in a typical "released to unstable" state, which is
an improvement over the "might be totally broken" state that the
pre-release packages claimed to be in.

ES> why is xserver-svga updated to newer 3.3.6 version while most of other
ES> X 3.3.6 packages are relaced by 4.0.1 version?
ES>
ES> is xserver-common new server? do I have to download something else to
ES> get 3dfx voodoo III support?

No, xserver-xfree86 is the new server.  Among other things, Voodoo3
support is included in it.[1] Once you get the new server working, you
don't need the old ones.  You only need the old xserver-svga package
if your card isn't supported by XF86-4.0.1.

ES> is the format of the configuration file changed?

Yes.  The xserver-xfree86 package also comes with a text-mode
configuration tool (dexter) which makes the setup almost trivial.[2]

ES> overall, where to find out how to upgrade 3.3.6 to 4.0.1? I am kinda
ES> afraid that simple dist-upgrade is not enough in this case...

Ditch the task packages; I suspect that if you're running unstable
you'll probably find them too limiting anyways.

ES> is the X 4.0.1 in process of being updated and is it better to wait
ES> for some time till it gets completed? or?

AFAICT the upgrade is pretty complete.  I'm running the upgraded
packages now and they seem to be fine.

Note that the layout of the packages has changed a little.  It's okay
to remove all of the packages listed as "to be removed" in your list,
but you might need to install other packages to get equivalent
functionality.  In particular:

-- xbase-clients includes what used to be in xcontrib.
-- xfonts-cjk Just Doesn't Work right now.
-- xlibs-dev contains the section 3 man pages in xmanpages.
-- xlibs now contains libXpm as a standard library.
-- xsm is also part of xbase-clients now.

[1] ...though I can't get 3D acceleration working with my Voodoo3
    2000.  Huh.

[2] My one complaint with dexter is that it has a 1280x960 mode, but
    not a 1280x1024 mode.  Yay wishlist bugs.

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://www.mit.edu/~dmaze/
	-- Abra Mitchell