Re: Perl breakage

On Mon, Nov 06, 2000 at 04:27:10PM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
>Alex Romosan wrote:
>> so the question is: how come it worked for joey? maybe he didn't
>> update dpkg to 1.7.0.
>
>No I did. I have no idea why it worked for me, I have a zillion
>alternatives files in the wrong place too..

The problem is that the perl-5.6-base postinst removes /usr/bin/perl if
it is a link before running update-alternatives.  If the current status
is `auto' all is fine as a new link is created for perl-5.6, otherwise
the link is blown away.

There is another problem with 5.6, which is that the packages installed
are the -1 version, which didn't have the 5.005 directory in @INC, so
there will be binary module problems until -3 (in incoming) is
installed.

Regards,
--
Brendan O'Dea                                        bod@compusol.com.au
Compusol Pty. Limited                  (NSW, Australia)  +61 2 9810 3633