Re: Perl breakage

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:

> David Starner wrote:
> > Did the evils of update-alternatives having /usr/bin/perl as
> > an interpreter and taking care of /usr/bin/perl not occur to
> > anyone? I'm not sure if all the perl related breakage of this
> > upgrade can be related to the loss of /usr/bin/perl, but it's
> > a start. I also removed perl-5.005-suid at the same time, which
> > may have helped the lossage along.
>
> What breakage are you talking about? Perhaps a proper bug report or a
> proper problem report with acvtual usable information is in order?

update-alternatives doesn't work any more (this is dpkg 1.7.0).
running by hand:

    update=`which update-alternatives`
    perl-5.6 ${update} --install /usr/bin/perl perl /usr/bin/perl-5.6 5006

has no effect (so /usr/bin/perl vanishes).

--alex--

--
| I believe the moment is at hand when, by a paranoiac and active |
|  advance of the mind, it will be possible (simultaneously with  |