Re: Helix debian packages

Hi Martin,

On 20 Oct 2000, Martin Bialasinski wrote:

> I hear "Helix is so much better than Debian's" - what is the
> difference exactly? They use the same source.

	Well, I can't tell you what all the differences were - only that when
	I installed Helix, lots of things had changed in the area of
	the GNOME configuration tool (extra panels with more options),
	sawmill which later became sawfish, gdm, gkt-themes, etc.

	Since then, I haven't switched back.

	Why these differences weren't in the Debian GNOME - I don't know.
	Perhaps it's just a time difference thing ?

> I am the Debian maintainer of mc/gmc, so I am interested to hear from
> you, Marcus, in which way *exactly* the Helix mc/gmc package is better
> than the woody one.

	mc/gmc is one package that I didn't see differ in functionality, and I
	rarely use it - perhaps someone else can comment better with this one ?

> And no, I don't have time and resources to try out myself and to clean
> up again afterwards.

	I didn't ask you to. :-)

> Marcus> (Interestingly, I noticed www.gnome.org/start points users to
> Marcus> Helix Gnome)
>
> Not if you consider Miguel's position in Helixcode and GNOME.

	I'm unaware of Miguel's position (what is it ?), but I was just
	pointing out what I saw on gnome.org.

	Thanks for your response mate.

	Cheers,

	Marcus

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
          &&&&.        Business Hours : +49 69 9757 200
    &&&&&&&:           After Hours    : +49 69 49086750