Re: Bizarre error running a program linked against a shared lib (help please!)

On 11 Oct 2000, James Troup wrote:

> Is there a good reason why Debian is using CVS binutils (even in
> unstable)?  I mean, it might be nice to have a little stability in our
> tool chain if nothing else...

Yes, I'm only using the CVS versions for now because the other upstream
source didn't have proper hppa/hppa64 support.  This has changed as of
this week, but the release cycles have been very unpredictable lately
(with some long-standing bugs being fixed in CVS for awhile without a new
release from HJL).  Seems that he's finally caught up with the latest CVS,
though, so we'll see how to proceed from here.

> I mean it's totally trashed m68k (hello world no longer compiles, last
> I checked), now this C++ problem... what's next?  Subtle errors at
> link time which cause random segfaults?  If some unreleased (not to
> mention, not-even-in-the-archive) architectures need CVS binutils
> (which is the only plausible reason anyone could give me when I asked
> on IRC), couldn't they use it just for them and/or use one in
> experimental or something?

Yes and no.  Some of our released archs are also having binutils problems
(including Alpha).  I've been doing my best to test the cvs versions to
see if they solve any of the Alpha problems (nothing on that front yet),
but there are other things that are being fixed that I don't detail in the
changelog.  There is a known m68k a.out problem now (this was also totally
unforeseen) which a fix is in the works for...

I'm sorry, but I just don't have access to enough archs at the
moment.  Seems that I have to make someone unhappy to make someone else
happy.  I've got a "plan of attack" on trying to stabilise binutils
releases a bit again, but things are moving fast on that front right now
and I'm not sure if I'll be able to do this right away.

Speaking of the m68k problem, though, have you tried either of the past
two uploads (the Oct-based ones)?  Not having access to an m68k machine is
really killing me for trying to solve or even test for that one and, as I
recall, this problem was going to happen regardless of whether or not I
used the CVS version.