Re: Bizarre error running a program linked against a shared lib (help please!)

    Thomas> James Troup <james@nocrew.org> writes:
    >> Is there a good reason why Debian is using CVS binutils (even in
    >> unstable)?  I mean, it might be nice to have a little stability in our
    >> tool chain if nothing else...

    Thomas> It's not just a binutils problem; it's a pervasive Debian
    Thomas> problem.

    Thomas> We seem to have a LOT of packages which use pre-release
    Thomas> software.

Libc 2.1.95 anyone?

Or XChat 1.5.x

Just two examples of varying importance that come to mind.

[...snip lots of stuff I agree with]

One question which you mentioned in a later message is:

  What if we release woody before there's been an official stable
  release of the package in question?

What if there's no official libc 2.2 before woody's freeze?  Do we
have a guarantee for that not happening?  No.  So we potentially want
to release woody with 2.1.95?

*If* we release non-official/non-canonical packages, we should mark
them as such, so users don't get confused.  And they should AMAP be
separate packages kept in parallel to the official packages.[1]

Bye, J

[1] Don't get me started about our `2.2.17' kernel package.  For
kernel packages, I expect to be able to download a kernel from
kernel.org and get the same kernel as in the Debian kernel-image
package.  There should have been a kernel-image-2.2.17pre (or
kernel-image-2.2.17debian), and a kernel-image-2.2.16 built from the
official 2.2.16 kernel...

--
Jürgen A. Erhard    juergen.erhard@gmx.net   phone: (GERMANY) 0721 27326
     MARS: http://members.tripod.com/Juergen_Erhard/mars_index.html