RFC: it's so easy ...

On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 02:56:40PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
<snip>
>  list. Though I	am not the best person to answer issues raised on
>  microsoft operating systems, I'll try and do the best I can. I am
>  given to understand that microsoft offers a program called
>  Mediaplayer that would enable you to play music, if that is all you
>  are looking for. The simplest way to install this is to start
>  internet explorer, pull down the tools menu, and click on the Windows
>  update option.
>
> 	That shall lead you to a page microsoft has designed to ease
>  installation of componets. I thik they have a means of downloading
>  and installing media player right off that page.

(sorry for the cut off)

Hi all. This unpleasant episode recall me what red Hat do normally, I
want to say easy of use. Recently i've installed a RH6.2 on my
brother's box (he was frightened by Linux, but he have that cd).

Ok, I've choosed gnome desktop

well, on RH you can start package manager, simply clicking on menu
Apps/System/[some_su_need_app]. Something (who?) ask you for root's
password an that's all.

Now, suppose that this will be true for Debian, you can launch, say,
gnome-apt, hit on search and install a package through apt/dpkg
... is it so easy ? without IE 5.5 :)

I doesn't investigate on how it's done by RH (no time), but i remember
that i've found a program called xsu on freshmet that does something
like that (but i can't compile it).

xsu is a little program (iirc only a file) that simply open a window
and ask for root password. There is a security problem in having a
program like that on debian? Any comment?

--
Daniele Cruciani <cruciani@cli.di.unipi.it>
Universita` di Pisa - Informatica -