Re: Debian and KDE: Appology

Paul Seelig <pseelig@mail.uni-mainz.de> writes:
> But RMS speaking like *this* is rather unappropriate and IMHO quite
> insulting.  I wonder if the author of ncftp who was hurting the GPL by
> using readline and who subsequently put ncftp under GPL as consequence
> of complaints was asked to beg for being forgiven as well?  I guess
> not, it was just retroactively considered legal, right?  Is this then
> just treatment of the KDE developers?  Definitely not!

The situation does differ somewhat: ncftp's violations were resolved
by actions taken by ncftp's author.  KDE's violations were resolved by
actions taken by Troll Tech, _not_ actions taken by KDE developers.

So whether you think the request for an apology is appropriate or not,
using the events surrounding ncftp as a basis for saying RMS is
applying a double standard is dubious, because the resolutions came
about through very different means.

Mike.