Re: Debian and KDE: Appology

On Fri, Sep 08, 2000 at 11:01:37AM +0200, Paul Seelig wrote:
> > Richard's comment was apparently on the order of "It's about time", which
> > apparently managed to peeve the KDE people who felt they needed to flame
> > him publicly over it..  *sigh*
> >
> It was not the harmless "about time" part those people got angry
> about.  They IMHO righfully complained about RMS' "forgiving" talk
> which is more like religious speech from a church or something.
> If the catholic pope would utter such words it could be silently
> ignored, though it would be appropriate speech in his ideological
> context.

I've simply learned to accept that Richard has an ego the size of a
moderately sized country and expects the whole community to bow at his
feet.  (rebel fleet award to han solo anyone?  (you'd have to have been at
the Aug 1999 LWCE for the $25k award that Debian received this year..  The
FSF got the award last year and he was actually resentful that these
people were handing him a fat chunk of cash to help him do the things he
does because he felt it wasn't enough recognition/credit!))

> But RMS speaking like *this* is rather unappropriate and IMHO quite
> insulting.  I wonder if the author of ncftp who was hurting the GPL by
> using readline and who subsequently put ncftp under GPL as consequence
> of complaints was asked to beg for being forgiven as well?  I guess
> not, it was just retroactively considered legal, right?  Is this then
> just treatment of the KDE developers?  Definitely not!

Oh I am perfectly comfortable in saying that I believe the KDE developers
have a lot to answer for over the past three years.  They have been both
intentionally disruptive and destructive to the community because of their
own arrogance.  Richard's own unjustifyable arrogance adds just one more
whining windbag's ego to the pile of the bruised.  So yes, he's guilty of
flamebait.  And the Linux "media" is guilty of helping him spread it.  Big
deal, just because the person trolling is a public figure doesn't change
the fact that saying a group of coders should beg forgiveness for their
transgressions against the church of GNU is still trolling.

> RMS should IMHO publically apologize with the KDE people for this
> condescending part of his otherwise correct article.  He should be
> wise enough to be careful about the context in which other people
> might consider certain statements simply derisive.

He won't.  C'mon, this is Richard Stallman.  In his own eyes, everything
he says and does is righteous and pure.  IMO, this makes him as dangerous
as Eric Raymond.  (But then, my opinions of RMS as a "leader" aren't
terribly popular around here...  I do freely admit my own ego is too large
to make me any better, so I am essentially throwing stones outside my
glass house.)

<james> abuse me.  I'm so lame I sent a bug report to
        debian-devel-changes