Re: X and runlevels

>> Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> writes:

 > and sent patches to XFree86 a long time ago, but the patch was
 > ignored, and Dirk Hohndel basically told me I was an idiot for
 > doing so, because it might unexpectedly terminate the server in the
 > quite common case of four X session logins in a row that averaged
 > less than 6 seconds each...

 Huh all right.  I don't understand what you/he meant by that, but the
 code that was patched (the xdm shipped with 3.3.2) was broken.  In
 fact, the current code in 4.0.1 has been heavily patched to *enable*
 this functionality.  No idea when that happend, sometime between 6.3
 and 6.4 it would seem, and AFAICS, it was patched up-upstream, not by
 xfree86.

 The patch worked based on the *number* of consecutive failures.  The
 current code works based on the *time* between failures, and it's
 rather agressive at that IMO.

 Amazed,

                                   Marcelo