Re: X and runlevels

> On Mon, Sep 04, 2000 at 12:48:24PM +0100, Anton Ivanov wrote:
> >
> > 	In the circumstance when you are serving a flock of dumb clients
> > from a single machine. NCD Xterms for example. In this case you *NEED* a *dm
> > running with network access turned on but the machine itself may not even have
> > a video.
> > 	This setup is a small percentage of the installed base but it does
> > exist and is used.
>
> Then disable the local display by commenting the server line in
> /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers

	That is exactly what I have done. My fault. Should have described the
setup in a bit more detail.

	The question I answered was "what is the case when you need
*dm and do not need X."

	It still does not answer the original question which was about X-only/
non-X runlevel. In other words how to boot in multiuser mode selectively
with/without X. Which is quite a sensible question.

Example:
	I had to go into an intermediate single user mode boot on some of
my machines after forgetting to turn off xdm after changing video cards.
Or during dealing with laptop docking gear.
	If there was a boot with X disabled and xdm installed it would have
made life a bit easier.

[snip]

	Cheers,

Brgds,

--
Anton R. Ivanov ARI2-RIPE
mailto:aivanov@sigsegv.cx

The excuse for delaying today's deliverables is:
the real ttys became pseudo ttys and vice-versa.

          /"\
          \ /     ASCII Ribbon Campaign
           X      Against HTML Mail
          / \