Re: Potato now stable

jgg@ualberta.ca (Jason Gunthorpe)  wrote on 14.08.00 in <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.96.1000814223833.28543J-100000@wakko.deltatee.com>:

> On Mon, 14 Aug 2000, Joey Hess wrote:

> > You know, if apt could only support Reccommends, task packages could be

> I don't care for this much, it breaks the model that apt-get follows, it

Well, I'd *very very much* like apt-get to be able to do *something* with
Recommends: and Suggests:.

Currently, I either have to go to dselect just to see what Recommends: I'm
missing, or else do some pretty incredible shell pipelines to handle
Suggests: with apt-get.

Not good.

Now I can certainly accept that it'd be a bad thing to change apt-get's
default behaviour, but that doesn't mean some reasonable support could not
be done with some command line switches.

I think the interesting functionality would be as follows:

for (A) Recommends: or (B) Recommends:+Suggests:,

for (i) a list of packages given on the command line or (ii) all installed
packages, or (iii) all newly-to-install-or-upgrade packages (that is,
recursively including packages which would be installed by a Recommends:/
Suggests:),

list and optionally install those packages, the same way you'd do with
extra Depends:.

MfG Kai