Re: cupsys (was: Re: lprng as 'stantard' package)

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, Brian May wrote:
> Would it be practical to write some sort of filter that
> converts
>
> magicfilter --> CUPS config format

Yes, but that's hardly needed. Doing it by hand is easier and much faster.

Most of the stuff magicfilter filters isn't needed in the CUPS side anyway
(e.g: one can drop all the rejects).  I'll probably patch magicfilter a bit
and add a wrapper so that it can be called directly as a CUPS filter (and
submit the stuff upstream), but I doubt there's a reason to add anything
other than PDF, DVI and *roff (for man pages) support.

If I can't turn magicfilter+wrapper into a "fast way to produce generic cups
filters", it isn't worth the hassle ;-P

> newformat --> magicfilter
> newformat --> CUPS

If you're going to do that, you'd be better of by doing it the full unix way
and use a heavy, comprehensive, well-designed printcap-based filter for
anything the printer doesn't handle natively, IMHO.

Actually, I usually like to preview what's going to get dumped into the
paper, so I end up generating PS files and taking a peek using GV, so I
rarely send anything other than pure PCL5 or PS to my old LJ4L...

> Then again, with the other poor design decisions I have heard about in
> this thread, I am not convinced the CUPS is the way to go.

CUPS seems to have some design flaws which look to *me* like they were
motivated the corporate equivalent of laziness: deadlines and costs, but I
wouldn't call them necessarily bad. Most of them can be easily fixed. Heck,
for all I know they might be in the main CUPS maintainer's "TODO list" as
'fix this ugly hack as soon as nothing else more imporant isn't in the way'.

Besides, I'm sure I'd have done even worse choices had I designed the thing,
so who am I to judge the coders? :-)

> Anyone used pdq? See http://feynman.tam.uiuc.edu/pdq/, I believe it is
> GPL, and supports GTK rather then KDE. Not sure how it compares, I

Eh? I don't follow you. CUPS is GNOME / KDE /
insert-bloated-and-resource-hungry-desktop-model-here agnostic. Otherwise,
it wouldn't be even eligible for being standard in Debian (IMHO, that is --
it has to be suitable for low-cost print servers). There is a non-KDE CUPS
X11 frontend (XPP, which I think I misnamed as KPP or something like that).
Note that KUPS (the KDE frontend for CUPS) and CUPS are two different
programs, maybe you confused the two?

  Henrique Holschuh