Re: splitting up kernel-image into two pieces

On Jul 25, Itai Zukerman wrote:
> > > For me there are.  I'm using this in a context where packages are
> > > installed automatically, so I don't want to have to issue the ln
> > > command by hand.  Also, since all configuration information for a
> > > machine is in the package database, I want which kernel is in use to
> > > be represented there too.
>
> Sorry if this has been suggested before, but how about using a shared
> debconf variable?  In the config ask:
>
>   Make this kernel image the default? [Yn]
>
> And if yes, set the shared variable to the current kernel image.  In
> the postinst, use that variable to set up the link from /vmlinuz.  Is
> debconf flexible enough for this?

I don't know, I haven't yet played with debconf; I'm working on slink
systems.

It sounds like a good option to satisfy some of my criteria in the
longer term, but I haven't yet heard from anyone who shared my desire.
There's not much point in adding complexity if it won't be used by
others.