Re: lprng as 'stantard' package (was: Re: Test packages for libc6 2.1.91+cvs)

Josip Rodin <joy@cibalia.gkvk.hr> writes:

> On Wed, Jul 12, 2000 at 09:59:54AM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
> >  > LPRng could go into standard, its reasonably stable except for the last
> >  > month or so (and that appears in the unstable dist).  I still not exactly
> >  > happy with the post/pre inst/rm scripts but they should be largely stable.
> >
> > Is there a formal procedure to put a package in standard? cupsys could
> > go to standard as well.
>
> % apt-cache show lpr lprng cupsys | grep ^Size
> Size: 85766
> Size: 894722
> Size: 2298766
>
> Nice :<

Hmm, I've never used cupsys but that provoked me into looking further
into it.

First, cups provides more than the other printing packages. It can
print postscript to non-PS printers out of the box, and seems to
include some version of GhostScript for that. If one subtracts out the
included GS stuff (binary, additional .ps files, fonts) that weighs in
with 2345 kB that leaves 1608 kB, which is already less than the
installed size of lprng (1996 kB).

Futhermore, 1225 kB of the package lands in /usr/share/doc or
/usr/share/man. More documentation is generally considered a Good
Thing. (For comparison: lprng boasts 205 kB of docs.)

Bytecounts are from lprng_3.6.12-6_i386.deb and
cupsys_1.0.4-7_i386.deb

I conclude that cupsys-doc should probably be split off, and that a
separate cupsys-ps package that only people without PS-aware printers
needed would be a win (perhaps this could also somehow share with
GhostScript).

How lprng or cupsys compare on technical merit should be our main
concern here.

--
Robbe