Re: RMS comments: Gnome part of the GNU operating system.

Am Mon, 24 Jul 2000 14:47:09 Hamish Moffatt Sie:
> On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 01:03:26PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > >
> > > Really, GNOME was already written in 1991? News to me!
> > > Or isn't GNOME part of the GNU system?
> >
> > Hairsplitting. You can't find any reasonable point to attack, so you grasp
> > at this little thing. You just want to bicker, and not contribute.
> >
> > I hate it how the noise of the Debian lists goes up and up, and the signal
> > down and down.
>
> My point was that IMHO RMS is asking for too much credit. The
> statement that "In 1991, GNU was almost finished, lacking only a kernel"
> is incorrect. GNOME has evolved since then as the desktop for example.
>
> Similarly, as someone else has pointed out, the GNU system does
> not have a GNU windowing system, typesetting system, etc. Debian
> is not just GNU + kernel.
>
> The GNU project has contributed a lot to Debian and they deserve
> credit. We call it Debian GNU/Linux, for example. But there are lots
> of other major contributors too. So let's not devalue their contributions
> by promoting GNU too heavily.

You are devalueing everybodies contribution except those of the kernel
hackers
by calling it linux exclusively. This is one of the points RMS makes,
and you seem to agree to him. Now I don't understand how you come to the
conclusion that only calling it "linux" improves the matter, and what
the status of GNOME development has to do with it, but I am willing
to let the discussion rest at this point.

Thank you for following up on this with something more than a hair split
:)
Marcus

PS: A shave and a hair cut, 2 p