Re: RMS comments: Gnome part of the GNU operating system.

On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 06:22:10PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 11:41:03PM +0200, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 10:39:05PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > > (If you want to split hairs, then a bunch of basic things Linux
> > > needs to get running aren't supplied by GNU. Like init and
> > > a getty, for example.)
> >
> > init and getty are things GNU/Hurd doesn't use/need.
> > Coincidence ?
>
> Neither init or getty are Linuxisms. I think UNIX has
> always had them. What does GNU/Hurd use instead, and aren't
> they just the same with a different name?

Yeah, they are all UNIXisms.

getty :
GNU/Hurd uses login shell (bash really) instead of getty/login programs.
One can have NO uid under Hurd (or 1, or 2, or 12 uids), so
you need to enter your pasword to get privileges, not to simply log in.

init :
Init architecture is even more different.
Something like kernel modules can be loaded either from bootloader (GRUB)
or from some mini-init loaded by bootloader (this mini-init quits after loading
Hurd modules, so it's more like a script tha like UNIXy init).
Also, many many programs that are run at system start on UNIX,
are run magickally on first usage on GNU/Hurd. For example :
automounter isn't add-on, but integral part of OS. The same with device
drivers, to some extend.
There are some plans to make Makefile-ish init, but it would be completely
diferent from UNIX init anyway.