Re: RMS comments: Gnome part of the GNU operating system.

On Tue, Jul 25, 2000 at 02:44:14PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> You are devalueing everybodies contribution except those of the kernel
> hackers
> by calling it linux exclusively. This is one of the points RMS makes,
> and you seem to agree to him. Now I don't understand how you come to the
> conclusion that only calling it "linux" improves the matter, and what
> the status of GNOME development has to do with it, but I am willing
> to let the discussion rest at this point.

OK, the GNOME thing was a bit of a misnomer. I reckon that RMS's statement
that the GNU system was finished except for a kernel was pretty silly,
but that's not really the point.

You're right that it's not really fair just to call it just Linux.
I usually just call this project "Debian." Nice and simple.
"Debian GNU/Linux" when I am being formal. I don't think there's
a better solution.

Hamish