Re: ITP gnome-applets

Scavenging the mail folder uncovered Raphael Hertzog's letter:

> That's your case, I know other people who use much more. Myself, I use 6
> applets on my laptop. And I really doesn't want to have to install 6
> packages just to have my applets. Separating them by net/amusement/monitor
> isn't a good idea either since I use approximately one of each category.
> :)

i use much more. if you really want to split put in a applets-base package
one for each type (the most basic or usefull one) and all the rest in a
applet-others package. good candidates for applets-base are:

clock
cd player
mixer
CPU/MEM usage (the most information in a single applet)
Battery meter
Mailcheck
PPP applet or modem light (the one that let you start ppp)
desk guide & task list (lot of people will complain if they are missing)
drive mount (?)
printer applet (?)

> Really, all the applets provided upstream should be available in a single
> package. The packaging done by helix seems reasonable (only the big
> gtk-themes is contestable). Also considering the number of people who are
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
AOL: i agree *grin!*

> using helix gnome we really should try to be compatible to ease the
> upgrade between the 2 sets of packages (I already said I wanted them to be
> the same !).

this is important. a lot of people installed helix packages because
debian didn't provide gnome 1.2 ones fast enought. but they (we) want
to switch to a debian-only install as fast as possible ;)

ciao,
federico

--
Federico Di Gregorio