Re: lprng as 'stantard' package (was: Re: Test packages for libc6 2.1.91+cvs)

    Henrique> Is it compatible enough with old lpd-compatible daemons
    Henrique> and printers, or are there interoperation problems? Does
    Henrique> it offer drop-in compatibility with a stant-alone GS as
    Henrique> a driver (and the 'magic' printer filter packages in
    Henrique> debian)? If not, cupsys is not a good choice for being
    Henrique> standard. Using GS as an output driver (or as I like to
    Henrique> say, PostScript(tm) support for the poor (like me :^P) )
    Henrique> is a must, and an embebbeded old GS does not cut it (as
    Henrique> well as being a severe waste of space and a very
    Henrique> non-unixy thing to do).

AFAIK (and I could be wrong), cupsys supports gs via PPD files.

However, it might be possible to have the ppd file refer to a
magicfilter instead of directly calling gs?

I might be off on the wrong tangent though...

    Henrique> cupsys seems an interesting package (and printing
    Henrique> system). But to *me* it looks like it might need some
    Henrique> work (both upstream and in the package) before being a
    Henrique> good choice for standard. It's a good thing to have in
    Henrique> Debian, though.

    Henrique> I quite like the capability of specifying driver options
    Henrique> with the job (instead of multiple queue hacks for
    Henrique> lprng/lpr + GS), and just because of that I'll add
    Henrique> trying out cupsys to my forever growing to-do list. A
    Henrique> well-integrated stand-alone GS + CUPS would be a major
    Henrique> neat thing to have (if such a thing is possible, that
    Henrique> is). Expect a stream of wishlist bugs (and if we're
    Henrique> lucky, patches) if I ever get to it.

Agreed. Although I don't particular like printing via gs either - as
the margins always come out wrongly (eg. a big margin at the top of
the page means that there isn't enough room at the bottom, so the
bottom part of the page forms a new page of its own. Also Printing a
2up page from a2ps is impossible with my printers, without something
being chopped off). Or is that just my cheap and dodgy printers?

It is my naive opinion that the only way to print reliably and
accurately from Linux (as distinct from trial and error) is to pay
more for a postscript compatible printer (unless you know somebody who
has already gone through the process, *and* the printer in question
isn't obsolete and can still be purchased).
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>