Re: lprng as 'stantard' package (was: Re: Test packages for libc6 2.1.91+cvs)

Hi Brian!

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, Brian May wrote:
> AFAIK (and I could be wrong), cupsys supports gs via PPD files.

Yes, but not out-of-the-box. I looked into it a bit yesterday. Cupsys can do
it, but one must use some add-ons. There's nothing wrong with that, other
than they'd need to be packaged and integrated with cupsis for Debian.

> However, it might be possible to have the ppd file refer to a
> magicfilter instead of directly calling gs?

No, magicfilter must run before the data ever gets delivered to Cupsys, I
think.  Cupsys DOES have a conversion layer very much like magicfilter, but
I don't know if it is as good.

[snip]
> Agreed. Although I don't particular like printing via gs either - as
> the margins always come out wrongly (eg. a big margin at the top of
> the page means that there isn't enough room at the bottom, so the
> bottom part of the page forms a new page of its own. Also Printing a
> 2up page from a2ps is impossible with my printers, without something
> being chopped off). Or is that just my cheap and dodgy printers?

I don't know if anyone ever did the job of taking a few hours to properly
debug/adjust gs margins (and the backend driver for gs' margins) for most
printers. I don't know if they even made sure the backend gs driver is
printing with the right aspect ratio(!)...

> It is my naive opinion that the only way to print reliably and
> accurately from Linux (as distinct from trial and error) is to pay
> more for a postscript compatible printer (unless you know somebody who
> has already gone through the process, *and* the printer in question
> isn't obsolete and can still be purchased).

Given how expensive laser printers (and any other computer hardware which
anything resembling good quality) are in Brazil (try 4x what you'd pay in
the USA), this is not an option for me :-(

  Henrique Holschuh