Re: init script config files

On Sat, Jul 08, 2000 at 01:05:56PM -0500, Michael Urman wrote:

>  This comment makes it easy to turn off the running of portmap, but it
>  does not make it easy to reenable it.  Sure your average admin may be
>  conversant with 0 and 1, but your actual script runs it on 1, and does
>  not otherwise.
>
>  I'd suggest that the comment read 'Set RUN_PORTMAP=1 to run, or
>  otherwise to not run' or make the test something like:
>  test -z $RUN_PORTMAP && exit 0   # with appropriate comment.

this is an interesting point:

earlier people bitched that editing the initscript to disable portmap
sucks since it makes it impossible to start manually (if you just slap
a exit 0 at the top)

however this variable stuff in a config.d file does the same thing, if
RUN_PORTMAP=0 then the initscript will just silently die without
starting portmap, the same way it would if you just added an exit 0.

>  If we're trying to make things easier/more configurable, which i love
>  as an idea, we shouldn't take half steps.

or make things difficult and convoluted.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/