Re: init script config files

On Fri, Jul 07, 2000 at 10:44:15PM -0400, Christopher W. Curtis wrote:

> My idea is to have a script, '/etc/init.d/defaults', which every init
> script sources.  'defaults' will read the default settings and define
> common functions for the scripts to use.  Here is a rough draft of the
> idea:

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

this is exactly how redhat does it and it **S U C K S**

there should be shell variables thats *IT*

no fscking functions
no fscking sourcing (except for the init script sourcing its *ONE*
config file (which contains ONLY simple shell variables)

> All scripts include the defaults file, and give the package name when

no all scripts should only include the script config file
/etc/default/portmap (or whatever)

> doing so.  The script will make sure the the environment for running the
> package is sane, and provide functionality to start any programs it
> needs (start) and to send them various signals (hup, usr1, etc).  It

noooooooo!  this is the horrible crap redhat does.  its buggy, broken,
obfuscated, crap.  /me considers moving to slackware or *BSD.... sheesh.

[snip obfuscated ball of redhat spaghetti]

im sorry but this is just plain wrong.

apologies for the flame but one of the *primary* reasons i switched to
debian is to escape redhats fucked up initscripts which you just
described in your proposal.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/