Re: init script config files

On Sat, Jul 08, 2000 at 12:40:01PM -0400, Christopher W. Curtis wrote:
> if [ "X$RUN_PORTMAP" != "X1" ] ; then
> 	exit 0
> fi

> # 'portmap' is installed as part of netbase.  You cannot remove netbase,
> #  as it is a required package, so here's your chance to turn it off.
> #  Set RUN_PORTMAP=0 in /etc/init.d/defaults.d/portmap.user
> RUN_PORTMAP=1

 This comment makes it easy to turn off the running of portmap, but it
 does not make it easy to reenable it.  Sure your average admin may be
 conversant with 0 and 1, but your actual script runs it on 1, and does
 not otherwise.

 I'd suggest that the comment read 'Set RUN_PORTMAP=1 to run, or
 otherwise to not run' or make the test something like:
 test -z $RUN_PORTMAP && exit 0   # with appropriate comment.

 If we're trying to make things easier/more configurable, which i love
 as an idea, we shouldn't take half steps.

-m
--
Michael Urman <mu@zen.ddts.net>
gpg: 1024g/55C56706 : C3D7 2A8F 6261 3DE4 F544  6DC3 A1D5 BEF6 156F 65A4