Bandwidth-starved Europeans and package diffs. (was: General Resolution: Removing non-free...)

On Thu, Jun 08, 2000 at 04:10:16PM +0100, Anton Ivanov wrote:
>[...]
> Yes in your area everyone uses the net. I can also use the net. See the
> headers. But the other users in my area have to pay a fscking BT, DT, FT, or
> some other T bill. Which is calculated by the minute. There is no such thing
> as an unmetered access in EU. And a full debian install over the net comes to
> be:
>
> 8K/min  for 0.015 USD. Approx 200 Dollars.

Ouch... this makes wonder why so few people expressed interest in
Tom Rothamel's "ddiff" project[1] when he announced[2] it.  That
could potentially make 'net installs and upgrades much more
practical for people with limited bandwidth, not to mention making
more efficient use of the donated resources Debian depends on.

Is there any chance Tom's program or something similar will be put
to use on the official mirrors in the near future?  Obviously the
priority right now has to be getting Potato out, but once that
happens, I'd like to see this given some serious thought (perhaps in
parallel to implementing the "package-pools" thing.)

-Kevin

[1] http://onegeek.org/~tom/software/ddiff/
[2] http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-devel-0003/msg00049.html