Re: General Resolution: Removing non-free, Draft 2

On 7 Jun 2000, Robert Bihlmeyer wrote:

> Ian McKellar <yakk-debian-devel@yakk.net.au> writes:
>
> > We have a responsibility to our users to respect their rights and protect
> > them to the extent that we can.
>
> Aargh! <emph>I, as a user, request to be respected, and not protected
> from anything just because some group considers it harmful.</emph>
>
> I can relate to protecting people from nuclear radiation, but do not
> dig protecting someone that can think for himself from porn, drugs or
> non-free software. Distributing or using these things may be immoral,
> by some standard, but IMHO forcing those standard on people is not
> ethically sound.
>
> All in all, people should be able to choose on equal grounds. This is
> all about freedom, remember?

You're not in any way being forced not to use non-free software if it is
removed from the Debian archives. The only distinction is that you would
no longer be able to obtain non-free software from Debian. That software
is still just as available and usable from it's upstream source as it was
before.

Mike Kelly	<kellym@nbnet.nb.ca>

  'Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
   I took the one less traveled by,