Re: General Resolution: Removing non-free, Draft 2

> On Thu, Jun 08, 2000 at 04:13:04PM +0200, Francesco Tapparo wrote:
> > I think you're forgetting something: it is not common to download the debian
> > packages. The vast majority of the people have only a modem connection, so
> > upgrade debian with an apt to ftp.debian.org is out of discussion.
> > The majority of the people simply buy the cd. The contents of the CD is
>
> Do you really have numbers to back up that claim, or are you making it
> up? In my area, *no one* buys a cd and *all* installs are done over the
> net. I am not so arrogant as to proclaim that this is true for all
> debian users.

Mesage origin:144.126.178.227

whois info:aivanov@greebo:/tmp$ whois -h whois.arin.net 144.126.178.227
Loyola College in Maryland (NET-LOYOLA-IN-MD)
   Knott Hall 260, 4501 North Charles Street
   Baltimore, MD 21210-2699
   US

   Netname: LOYOLA-IN-MD
   Netnumber: 144.126.0.0
   Maintainer: NSFNET

   Coordinator:
      Henderson, Bill  (BH1256-ARIN)  BHOSS@LOYOLA.EDU
      (410) 617-5199 (FAX) (410) 617-5130

   Domain System inverse mapping provided by:

   LCNS1.LOYOLA.EDU             144.126.1.10
   LCNS2.LOYOLA.EDU             144.126.75.18

   Record last updated on 14-Sep-1999.
   Database last updated on 8-Jun-2000 06:09:11 EDT.

Yes in your area everyone uses the net. I can also use the net. See the
headers. But the other users in my area have to pay a fscking BT, DT, FT, or
some other T bill. Which is calculated by the minute. There is no such thing
as an unmetered access in EU. And a full debian install over the net comes to
be:

8K/min  for 0.015 USD. Approx 200 Dollars.

So thank you for reminding the rest of the world that you have a free internet
connection.