Re: General Resolution: Removing non-free, Draft 2

> That was appallingly, inexcusably offensive.

Sorry, lost my nerves. See the rest of the messages originating from the same
person,

> Francesco claimed that the vast majority of people only have a modem
> connection, and that the majority of people use CD installs.

[snip]

> Lots of people use CDs.  Lots of people don't.  It's interesting (and
> even germane to this discussion) to guess how many people do each, but
> since we don't appear to know the answer, I don't think your attitude
> was justified.

Unfortunately we never know. That is one of the direct consequences of free.

I think we should estimate from what people actually get as a net connection.

I have been remarked on cable modems, etc, but they are still exemption and
unavailable in quite a lot of places (or service is crap). Fact is fact, most
of EU still has a questionable quality modem connection and is paying a hefty
premium for it as it is not flat rate. Downloading packages "rpmfind" style
(when you wrestle half a day with dependancies and download 10 times more
stuff than you need) looks really bad from that perspective.

[snip]

I suggest we ask the retailers (there are a few in the UK) and sunsite
(serving images) to provide some stats if this issue still stand.