Re: Counter Proposal (was Re: General Resolution: Removing non-free)

On Thu, Jun 08, 2000 at 07:33:34PM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 07, 2000 at 10:31:21AM -0400, Branden Robinson wrote:
> >   5. We Will Support Programs That Don't Meet Our Free-Software Standards
> >   We will maintain "contrib" and "non-free" areas in our FTP archive for
> >   this software.  We encourage CD manufacturers to read the licenses of
> >   software packages in these directories and determine if they can
> >   distribute that software on their CDs.  We will support the use of
> >   non-free software in Debian, and we will provide infrastructure (such as
> >   our bug-tracking system and mailing lists) for non-free software
> >   packages.
> nice idea. i propose that we modify the Social Contract so that it does
> say that.
> Anyone willing to second this?

Hmmm, I'm not sure I care for Branden's wording, in particular "We will
support the use of non-free software *in Debian*" seems to lose the point
that it's really only an addition to Debian proper. Perhaps something
more like:

  5. Programs That Don't Meet Our Free-Software Standards

     We acknowledge that some of our users require the use of programs
     that don't conform to the Debian Free Software Guidelines. Although
     non-free software is not a part of any Debian distribution, we will
     support its use and provide infrastructure (such as the "contrib"
     and "non-free" areas in our archive, our bug-tracking system and
     mailing lists) for non-free software. We encourage CD manufacturers
     to read the licenses of software packages in these directories and
     determine if they can distribute that software on their CDs.

But aside from the wording quibble, yes I'd support that.

Cheers,
aj

I don't speak for anyone save myself. GPG encrypted mail preferred.

                                      -- Dave Clark