Re: Counter Proposal (was Re: General Resolution: Removing non-free)

Anthony Towns wrote:
  >Hmmm, I'm not sure I care for Branden's wording, in particular "We will
  >support the use of non-free software *in Debian*" seems to lose the point
  >that it's really only an addition to Debian proper. Perhaps something
  >more like:
  >
  >  5. Programs That Don't Meet Our Free-Software Standards
  >
  >     We acknowledge that some of our users require the use of programs
  >     that don't conform to the Debian Free Software Guidelines. Although
  >     non-free software is not a part of any Debian distribution, we will
  >     support its use and provide infrastructure (such as the "contrib"
  >     and "non-free" areas in our archive, our bug-tracking system and
  >     mailing lists) for non-free software. We encourage CD manufacturers
  >     to read the licenses of software packages in these directories and
  >     determine if they can distribute that software on their CDs.
  >
  >But aside from the wording quibble, yes I'd support that.

I would support something like this.

In the end, non-free will wither away when all its packages have
fully free equivalents.  Until then, it is needed.

     "Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my
      word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath
      everlasting life, and shall not come into
      condemnation; but is passed from death unto life."
                               John 5:24