Re: Sound support on potato

#include <hallo.h>
Eray Ozkural wrote on Wed Jun 07, 2000 um 07:15:26PM:

> > One problem I do see with GNOME, however, is that when sound
> > is enabled and esd isn't running, a GNOME application pauses
> > each time it tries and fails to play a sound.  Something needs
> > to be done about this.
> >

> Can't this be fixed in esd?

AFAIK gnome-libs use esdlib to spawn a new Esound server. However,
auto-spawning can be disabled in /etc/esound/esound.conf (auto_spawn=0).
Thats what esound-common changes after asking the user while the
configuration.

> > be made to work together.  It would be nice to upgrade to 0.5.x,
> > but this would break some sound packages because the ALSA API
> > and libraries changed from 0.4.x to 0.5.x.
> >

> Aren't they backward compatible in most cases?

Not in this case, ALSAs API were changed in 0.5.x, no backward
compability. However, as far as I can see, noone package in Potato still
depends from ALSA without an alternative. So IMHO _ALL_ alsa- and
alsa-dependent packages should be dropped, then the new alsa-0.5.x
version and 0.5.x-compatible alsa-based packages of this should be
included.

> Yes, but holding back a device driver because a not-up-to-date program isn't

s.above

> working well isn't quite clever. I think most of the programs work all right,
> so what's the point here?

It's all alright if the programs use OSS-emulation provided ALSA, but
not the old 0.4.x-API. Later it is probably also okay to use 0.5.x-API,
but I would avoid this since ALSA is still developed heavily.

Eduard.
Eduard Bloch <eb@zombie.inka.de>; HP: http://eduard.bloch.com/edecosi
0xEDF008C5(GnuPG): E6EB 98E2 B885 8FF0 6C04  5C1D E106 481E EDF0 08C5
:wq