Re: General Resolution: Removing non-free, Draft 2

>>"Marcus" == Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

 Marcus> I would hope that interested parties will continue to provide
 Marcus> and debianize such software using non-Debian ressources. apt

	Ignoring, of course, the likelyhood of the infrastructure
 being feasible at all, espescially withut the name of Debian, and the
 fact that non-free is not as sexy to donors as being involved with

 Marcus> can deal with it, and even without apt it is not hard to get
 Marcus> at those packages if they are provided via ftp and
 Marcus> http. Those packages can be of the some quality as within
 Marcus> Debian, and anybody can choose for himself which software
 Marcus> outside the DFSG is worth working on.

	I see. Just like red hat contrib packages can be as good as
 the packages inside.

 	You, sir, have a low opinion of the value that Debian, as an
 integrator adds, and that the whole may be greater than the sum of
 the parts.

 Marcus> I have not heard a reason yet why it is technically better to offer
 Marcus> non-free software on Debian servers.
        This is a political issue. But, htere goes: integration into
 the rest of the distribution. Avasilability. BTS. Dependencies
 handled by the apckaging system. Quality control. Policy compliance.

 ... that the notions of "hardware", and "software" should be extended
 by the notion of LIVEWARE - being that which produces software for
 use on hardware.  This produces an obvious extension to the concept
 of MONITORS. A liveware monitor is a person dedicated to the task of
 ensuring that the liveware does not interfere with the real-time
 processes, invoking the REAL-TIME EXECUTIONER to delete liveware that
 adversely affects ... Linden and Wihelminalaan