Re: General Resolution: Removing non-free, Draft 2

>>"Marcus" == Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

 Marcus> I would hope that interested parties will continue to provide
 Marcus> and debianize such software using non-Debian ressources. apt

	Ignoring, of course, the likelyhood of the infrastructure
 being feasible at all, espescially withut the name of Debian, and the
 fact that non-free is not as sexy to donors as being involved with
 Debian.

 Marcus> can deal with it, and even without apt it is not hard to get
 Marcus> at those packages if they are provided via ftp and
 Marcus> http. Those packages can be of the some quality as within
 Marcus> Debian, and anybody can choose for himself which software
 Marcus> outside the DFSG is worth working on.

	I see. Just like red hat contrib packages can be as good as
 the packages inside.

 	You, sir, have a low opinion of the value that Debian, as an
 integrator adds, and that the whole may be greater than the sum of
 the parts.

 Marcus> I have not heard a reason yet why it is technically better to offer
 Marcus> non-free software on Debian servers.

        This is a political issue. But, htere goes: integration into
 the rest of the distribution. Avasilability. BTS. Dependencies
 handled by the apckaging system. Quality control. Policy compliance.

 	manoj
--
 ... that the notions of "hardware", and "software" should be extended
 by the notion of LIVEWARE - being that which produces software for