On Wed, Jun 07, 2000 at 01:30:22PM +0200, Miros/law `Jubal' Baran wrote:
> This thread costs me about 35 minuts of reading and the decision for
> not to use Debian on my servers [which I had in mind] if this
> resolution would effect in changes to the Social Contract; mostly
> because I need to use java and some other non-free.

> PS. Being not a developer I can't formally object to this resolution
> :-(

A good thing, because you clearly don't understand the resolution.

This resolution will do NOTHING to prevent users from downloading, using,
compiling from source (if available), modifying, etc. non-free software.

It is a largely technical proposal with some alterations to the Social
Contract to clear up some muddy language and terminate a compromise that
was made years ago for pragmatic reasons.

> I understand now: this is the purity that is the main goal of Debian
> project. Please, please, remove more software from Debian. Maybe at
> some time one of The Great Free Software Prophets consider that some
> licenses, e.g. the BSD or the Artistic license as not-sufficently-free
> for Real Free Debian? All for purity, and to hell with users' needs.

It's refreshing to read such calm, reasoned analysis.

--
G. Branden Robinson            |            Measure with micrometer,
Debian GNU/Linux               |            mark with chalk,