On Wed, Jun 07, 2000 at 06:39:55PM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> yes, go ahead and chop out the line "there is a difference" which makes
> the point. i'll repeat it because you seem to want to ignore it: there
> is a difference between ignoring something (passive discrimination at
> worst), and active discrimination.

It must be wonderful to have a dictionary that says exactly what you want.
As for me, I'll stick with established sources.

  Discrimination \Dis*crim`i*na"tion\ (?), n. [L. discriminatio
     the contrasting of opposite thoughts.]
     1. The act of discriminating, distinguishing, or noting and
        marking differences.

I agree that there is a difference between ignoring something and
discriminating between things.  An act of ignorance may be deliberate, or
it may actually be the *failure* of discrimination.

If we accept the definition above (which, admittedly, you probably don't),
then there is no such thing as passive discrimination.  Since
discrimination is an "act", it is by definition an "active" process.
Natch.

Furthermore, Debian doesn't currently "ignore" non-free software as we go
through a deliberate process to identify it (does it meet the DFSG?) and
categorize it.  Not to mention put it in the archive, update override
files, do bug maintenance, etc.

> congratulations!  you missed the point entirely.

How about some content with that condescention?  Which "point", exactly,
was missed?

--
G. Branden Robinson            |
Debian GNU/Linux               |    Exercise your freedom of religion.  Set