Re: Applying the kernel-patch-2.2.10-raid 2.2.10-3 to 2.2.15

We have a potato system running on 2.2.14.  It was not easy to do.

First, the RAID v0.90 patches on kernel.org are very old and unstable, and
they should not be used.  The real place to get patches against the newer
kernels if from Ingo Molnar -- http://people.redhat.com/mingo/ -- and this
is what we are using in connection with 2.2.14.  Ingo's patch against
2.2.14 is labeled "beta 1," while his patch against 2.2.15 is labeled
"alpha 0."  I guess you take your choice between them.

Second, you will need a recent Lilo.  RAID v0.90 support was added to Lilo
as of 21.4.0, so the one currently in potato (21.4.2) should work.  You
will also need to configure /etc/lilo.conf manually.

Third, the boot floppies do not have the RAID tools, such as mkraid, so
you need to have these on a separate mountable floppy so you can create
the RAID set in the first place.  You may also have to explicitly create
/dev/md? devices in your root ramdisk with mknod.

Fourth, the Debian installation programs do not understand anything about
/dev/md0 as an installable target, so you pretty much have to drop out to
the shell and run everything manually up to the point where you can mount
/dev/md0 onto /target, and after that it is a fairly normal installation.
Understand that this means you are on your own for fdisk, mkraid, mkfs,
and so on.

Fifth, you probably want to apply the patch I recommend in critical bug
61227, since kernel panic and filesystem corruption can result otherwise.

Can this be done?  Definitely -- we did it.  However, this is not a
project for anyone unless they are up for a challenge.

-- Mike