Re: Stallman Admits to Copyright Infringement

On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 02:30:40AM -0700, Joseph Carter wrote:

> Meaning that if you trade in illegal mp3s, don't come crying when the
> Copyright holders sue.  Thye have every right to sue under current laws,
> and violating them in the name of civil disobedience won't get you squat
> if they go after you for it.

But RMSs statement was that he borrows CDs, tapes etc. to his friends,
neighbours etc. . This is perfectly legal here in Germany. As long as you
don't trade in a commercial way or put your mp3 files on a public server.
The German law allows you for instance to burn your private "Best of" CD
and give it as a gift to a friend.
So I don't see that RMS infringes anything.

Christoph

--
* Christoph Baumann                                          *
* cbauman1@ix.urz.uni-heidelberg.de                          *