Re: Splitting isdnutils & co. into non-X and X parts

On Tue 09 May 2000, Riku Voipio wrote:
> On Mon, May 08, 2000 at 12:26:44PM +0200, Paul Slootman wrote:
> > >
> > > That could be easily avoided by a wrapper script that would explain
> > > which packages would need to be installed.
> >
> > The problem there is that these are also linked into the menu system,
> > and hence any messages generated will silently disappear into
> > .xsession-errors or whatever. Also, the overhead for checking whether
> > the X stuff is installed or not is silly.
>
> This is funny. If someone has access to window manager menu, he
> most obviously has the xlib:s installed.... :-)

Oops. I'm having a couple of days off away from work (and pc's, only
checking email now and again). I guess my brain is in suspend mode :-)

> Also, remember that only firewall/router sites want to install
> isdnutils without X. If someone is building a such system, they
> should be clueful enough to realize why something reports missing
> X libraries, when they decided delibaretly not to install them.

Hmm, that sounds reasonable. I guess most other people will have at
least some form of X stuff installed.  If I let isdnutils recommend the
X stuff, clueful people (who of course don't use dselect :-) won't be
forced to install the X stuff, and others won't be bothered by that
recommends.

> Atleast if you decide to make atomic packages out of this, make
> a isdnutils package that is nothing else but depencies to all what
> isdnutils used to be. Everyone hates to notice that functionality
> is missing after a upgrade.

True.
I _will_ be splitting the stuff up; the upstream isdnlog will probably
be going into a separate source package, so at least that is a logical
split. Additionally, isdnlog now has large quantities of data that are
mostly specific to countries, so that will become separate packages as
well. (I'll probably need a virtual package "isdnlog-data" that can be
fulfilled by packages like "isdnlog-data-nl" or "isdnlog-data-de").

Paul Slootman
--
home:       paul@wurtel.demon.nl http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/
work:       paul@murphy.nl       http://www.murphy.nl/