Re: potato late, goals for woody (IMHO)

On Wed, May 03, 2000 at 10:23:32PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> As such, I think it's important to consider the people who *do* get some
> benefit out of stable releases, and, personally, I'm inclined to think
> that a release roughly once a year is a much better way to serve them.

For most of the last year, most of my Debian servers have been pure
stable, but now all of them are hybrids.  I've been through this cycle
three times now:

If I really need to upgrade some package, soon after a release, I may
be able install it from unstable without needing to upgrade any other
packages unnecessarily.  As time passes, I more likely have to build from
the source package, or perhaps even the upstream sources.  Eventually,
I need to hybrid-ise the system just to meet the upstream's dependencies.

I love the stability of the stable distributions, but a year is just
too long.  Six months would suit me better.

Just my 2 cents,

Mark.