Re: potato late, goals for woody (IMHO)

On 01-May-00, 04:58 (CDT), Mike Bilow <mikebw@colossus.bilow.com> wrote:
> Slink is so old now as to be borderline useless.

"Useless?" So all those people running web servers, mail servers,
development projects, file servers, etc. on slink boxes are deluded?

"Useless for Mike Bilow's needs?"  Certainly. Only you can determine
what you need.

> With its basis of glibc 2.0 instead of 2.1, slink will not run the Sun
> JDK 1.2.2, PostgreSQL 6.5, and all sorts of other things we need.  As
> a result, we actually have production web servers and database servers
> running on potato, which is not technically stable.  We regard this as
> extremely undesirable.

So if we today relabeled the potato dist as "stable", containing exactly
the same packages as it did yesterday, you'd be ok? If so, forget about
the label. You seem to think that the quality of the packages you use
from the potato dist are sufficiently reliable for your needs. (Again,
only you can make that judgement.) Great! Use them!

Sigh.

Steve