Re: Splitting isdnutils & co. into non-X and X parts

On Thu, Apr 27, 2000 at 09:17:35PM +0200, Rene Mayrhofer wrote:
> What about dividing packages like isdnutils into parts with non-X and X tools ?

This is explicitly in violation of policy 5.8:

: Some programs can be configured with or without support for the X Window
: System. Typically, binaries produced with support for X will need the X
: shared libraries to run.
:
: Such programs should be configured with X support, and should declare a
: dependency on xlib6g (which contains X shared libraries). Users who wish to
: use the program can install just the relatively small xfree86-common and
: xlib6g packages, and do not need to install the whole of X.
:
: Do not create two versions (one with X support and one without) of your
: package.

If you don't like this policy, don't blame me.  I didn't write it and when
I proposed a revision that would have liberalized the situation, I was shot
down.

--
G. Branden Robinson            |    When I die I want to go peacefully in
Debian GNU/Linux               |    my sleep like my ol' Grand Dad...not