Re: apt sources.list

On Tue, Apr 25, 2000 at 03:19:44PM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 25, 2000 at 08:57:26AM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> > I disagree. People may want to periodically run apt-get upgrade to keep
> > up-to-date on critical/security bug fixes but might not want to do a
> > major system upgrade without some preparation. Obviously that's not true
> > in all cases, but I think "shouldn't" is too strong here.
>
> You're forgetting that Debian doesn't support obsoleted stable releases.
> (note that I don't have a strong opinion on that, just stating the fact)

No, I'm not forgetting that fact. I'm also not suggesting that people
not upgrade. I am suggesting that people might want to prepare before
upgrading most of the packages on the system. (Notify users, schedule
downtime, whatever.) In that case it is better for the apt source to
break when a new release is made than to tranparently start using the
new release.

--
Mike Stone