apt sources.list

The default sources.list file has lines referring to stable, instead of
slink or potato or whatever the current stable release is.

This means that, when potato is declared stable, when people have
lines like:
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable  main  contrib non-free
in their apt sources.list, will automaticly upgrade to the new stable
version if they run apt-get update; apt-get upgrade.

Would it be a good idea to change the default sources.list to something
like:
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian potato  main  contrib  non-free
                                     ^^^^^^
I think it would, and I am curious why this is not currently the case.
I havn't been able to find anything about this, could anyone educate me
on this subject?

Wouter