Re: apt sources.list

On Tue, Apr 25, 2000 at 02:41:24PM +0200, Wouter Hanegraaff wrote:
> > > This means that, when potato is declared stable, when people have
> > > lines like:
> > > deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable  main  contrib non-free
> > > in their apt sources.list, will automaticly upgrade to the new stable
> > > version if they run apt-get update; apt-get upgrade.
> >
> > Well, what's wrong with this? We want people to upgrade to the latest stable
> > version. :)
>
> Well, considering the smiley I guess you see the problem. A direct
> consequence of this problem is bug #57146. Of course we want people to
> upgrade to the latest stable version. But having "stable" instead of
> "slink" or "potato" in the default sources.list is not the way to do
> this, IMHO.

The problem in #57146 is an exception, because we reorganized the non-US
archive between slink and potato. That shouldn't happen again (until the
next revamp of non-US, at least ;).

> Changing this in potato won't prevent accidental release upgrades for
> slink users, but that's no reason not to change this in potato.

People who want to stick with slink even after potato is released shouldn't
run apt-get upgrade, IMHO. Presuming we do our job properly and enable a
smooth upgrade, that shouldn't be a problem.