Re: kernel-package or kernel-source needs libncurses-devel

> >The dependancy should be (and is) on the source:
> >
> >    Package: kernel-source-2.2.14
> >    [...]
> >    Depends: binutils | gas
> >    Recommends: libc-dev, gcc, make
> >    Suggests: ncurses-dev, tk-dev, kernel-package,
> >bin86
> >
> >Note that this is a Suggests rather than Depends.
> >
> >Regards,
>
> That explains it.  The last time I installed the
> kernel-source (slink)I used dselect which picked up
> the suggested dependancy and I got the ncurses
> package.  This time I used apt-get which only grabs
> the 'required' dependancies, it doesn't even mention
> the suggested packages.  Maybe this is a bug against
> apt-get.

Please, no, not a bug against apt-get. Dselect's overly aggressive
handling of Recommends is already painful. Apt-get should just grab the
"depends" level dependencies. If you want "recommends" and "suggests"
dependencies recognized, use a higher level tool (e.g. dselect,
console-apt, aptitude).

As far as it goes, the kernel-source dependencies look right to me. You
don't need menuconfig or xmenuconfig (or whatever it is) to build a
kernel.

(Although I'm not sure why binutils/gas are "Depends" and libc-dev/gcc/make
are recommends....)

Steve

 --
Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read every list I post to.)