Re: Danger Will Robinson! Danger!

Ari Makela (hauva@iki.fi) wrote:
> Filip Van Raemdonck writes:
>
> > And if they have this new hardware, does it mean they should not be
> > able to run Debian then?  If that's the case, better start rewriting
> > some documentation...
>
> What I ment was that it's quite easy to upgrade Slink to use 2.2
> series kernel or newer XFree86. Neither it's difficult to change the
> kernel on the rescue floppy if the provided kernel does not support
> hardware. If, Samba, for example, is not new enough, it's not
> difficult to fetch the sources and compile it.
>
> Somehow, I fail to notice a major problem here.

you obviously don't manage a large group of servers. one of the reasons a
lot of people run linux these days is because you can build huge server
farms without paying huge license fees. people like debian because it is so
easy to manage. compiling the new samba because it offers functionality and
stability you just can't get out of stock is neccicary. the same is true for
debian's php, snmp, apache, and mysql packages. i imagine those are some of
the most commonly installed packages today, and i had to build them for a
dozen machines because stable was too far behind.

--
(jacob kuntz)                    jpk@cape.com jake@{megabite,underworld}.net
(megabite systems)                       "think free speech, not free beer."