Re: Danger Will Robinson! Danger!

Manoj Srivastava writes:

>         It is a quality of imlementation issue. If we are seriously
>  outmoded, we can't honestly say we are trying to be the best
>  distribution out there.

I must say I completely fail to understand your point. Quality has not
very much to do with the fact how new the softare in an unix-system
is. Debian GNU/Linux is a great operating system and I do believe
that one of the reasons for the high quality is the fact that Debian
is developed without unnecessary haste.

> Best means we at least try not to be several
>  years behind other people.

Slink is a litlle more than a year old.

>         So is miscrosoft.
>         Debian has a stated goal of trying to achieve technical
>  excellence. Obsolescence is a factor.

Debian has been quite successful in that. I've run several servers for
years and there has been no major problems and it has caused much less
problems than HP-UX or NT4.

I feel that no operating system can be everything for everybody. Also,
I believe that you can choose either "bleeding edge software" or "high
quality software" but not both.

>  Josip> A lot of people (including me) run kernel 2.2 on slink
>  Josip> machines just fine.
>
>         And the point is?

The point might be that Slink can be updated to use 2.2 kernels and
other sofware which are not included. After all, quality software
compiles usually quite effortlessy with ./configure, make and make
install.

All said, as an unix user I'm very programming and server orientated
and I rather buy malt whiskey than newest available hardware. Someone
with an Athlon or a very new video card might disagree with me.

--
#!/usr/bin/perl -w -- # Ari Makela, hauva@iki.fi, http://www.iki.fi/hauva/
use strict;my $s='I am just a poor bear with a startling lack of brain.';my $t=