Re: Danger Will Robinson! Danger!

David Bristel wrote:
> The solution to this is that we ignore woody for the moment, and begin an all
> out effort to get the 2.4 kernel, XF4.0, and Apache 2.0 into Debian as STABLE.
> The work for these things can also incorporate the work needed to re-add the
> packages that were removed because of bugs.  I know people LOVE to work on
> "unstable", and I don't recomend we delay potato's release, so this is the
> alternative.  We release potato when it's ready, then prepare a point release
> for the major packages.  Call the maintenance release potato mk 2 or something.

Seems we've independently reached the same conclusion -- that's what I was
going to post!

I'd like to propose that we make a committment to getting an update to
potato out within a month of the release of the 2.4 kernel or the release
of potato, whichever comes last. (I did a similar thing for slink in a 3
week time-frame, and so I think this is a reasonable time-frame.)

This update would NOT be blessed as stable, it would be a semi-stable
release with:

- 2.4 kernel and support utilities
- X 4.0 drivers (but probably just X servers, to minimize changes; Branden
  has huge reorganizations in mind for X)

This would be a full Debian release, with a version number, boot floppies,
CD images, etc, etc. After it ages for a few months, we may choose to call
it stable but at first it would be called something that denotes it is
semi-stable.

Please speak up if you like this idea.

--
see shy jo